Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Removing Paint From Tube

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Glen Warchol/">Glen Warchol on August 26, 1998 11:19:19 UTC

: : : How can I remove the paint job, without damaging the original powder coat (or the optics)? : Good Luck! The way that I would do it is to just kiss all of the paint goodby and start : over. First is to disassemble the scope so that only the painted parts are going to be : worked with. Next is to try to use some solvent that gets the red without doing any damage : to the original paint. If that doesn't work, then clean everything off and start over with : some powdercoat finish from one of the powdercoaters that have popped up. I got a bunch of : metal done and the cost was $40 for the bunch which was thier minimum rate. Thanks for the advice. You're right. I talked to a guy at a specialty paint company that sells rust-proofers and does powder finishes. He sold me a quart of "aircraft" paint remover--"We're not supposed to sell this to the general public," he said.

He said he *thought* it would take off the paint and leave the powder coat intact. I tried it on a test spot and it took everything off down to the aluminum.

At least I'll have a good surface to paint.

What kind of paint would you recommend? I don't want a gloss finish.

He also said the aircraft stuff would soften epoxy. I'm afraid I'll have to call HAZMAT in for the cleanup.

BTW, how does one take a Ranger apart? The objective and focusser looks to be riveted on?

Thanks again. Glen Warchol (Take the NOSPAM! outta the address.)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins