Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Removing Paint From Tube

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on August 25, 1998 18:42:34 UTC

: How can I remove the paint job, without damaging the original powder coat (or the optics)? Good Luck! The way that I would do it is to just kiss all of the paint goodby and start over. First is to disassemble the scope so that only the painted parts are going to be worked with. Next is to try to use some solvent that gets the red without doing any damage to the original paint. If that doesn't work, then clean everything off and start over with some powdercoat finish from one of the powdercoaters that have popped up. I got a bunch of metal done and the cost was $40 for the bunch which was thier minimum rate.

: Also, what is the best way to remove a thumb sized blob of epoxy cement? (Don't ask.) Might try to put the part into the freezer and then heat it up rapidly. This may pop the contact loose. If not, start picking at the edge and removing it gently by cutting it off. Good Luck! You'll need it if you want to keep the original finish.

: Any help appreciated, : Glen Warchol

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins