Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Polishing Questions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by John Kerstetter on August 8, 2001 15:22:59 UTC

High guys, remember me, mister chipped tool? Anyway, I've been working on my 12.5" full thickness mirror, and it's time to put away the grits, and break out the pitch! WOO HOO!

I have a few questions;
1. What type of stroke should be used? What type of stroke do YOU use? Should i continue with "W" strokes, or is there another stroke to use for polishing?

2. When pouring the pitch, is it better to place a coat of wax paper on the surface of the mirror, instead of CE, then pouring the pitch onto it? I really do not want to glue the mirror and tool together.

3. When exactly should I start faceting the pitch?

4. I planned on using a window screen to "micro facet" the lap, is this acceptable?

5. What should I press the lap with? DO I need extra weight, on top of the x number of pounds that the full thickness mirror weighs now?

Thanks for your patience, and reading this far, I know that's alot pf questions to ask, but I've put a lot of time into the mirror, and it's my first one, and I really don't want top mess it up.

Thanks Again;
John

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins