Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Has The Speed Of This Forum Increased??

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Forum Master on March 6, 2001 14:26:56 UTC

Can any of you tell that the forum is now much faster to load, especially the large lists of messages?

I made one change to the database structure and, poof, the list pages load in my T1 connected computer in about 1/2 second compared to the ten or so seconds before the change.

I apologize to all of you for not figuring this out sooner.

With this annoying issue out of the way, I am going to proceed with further developments on this forum software. I hearby open the doors to suggestions for improvements. Currently on my to do list are:

• Customized login settings (user profiles) allowing you folks who want black text on white background to have exactly that.

• More options on thread views including seeing all the messages in a thread on one page; I guess I can make these setable under the user profile too.

• Some kind of email notification ability that will send responses of posts to the address I have in my user system.

• Similarly, the ability to have all new messages in selectable forums sent to the email address for users who want this.

• Maybe, just maybe, a way to post to this forum via an email. Don't hold your breath on this one, but I have had several requests.

• A better way to locate old threads on topics of interest.

As some of you know, this forum has been around since 1995. Then it was a Perl script from Matt Wright called WWWBoard. I have moved to databases and PHP, but have maintained as much of the look and feel (and URLs) of WWWBoard since I have a huge investment in search engine visits. Every message since 1995 is in here somewhere.

So bring on the comments ATMers. I am counting on your technical backgrounds to provide me with good useful feedback.

John
Your Host

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins