Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Need Advice On First Telescope

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Astrology or Astronomy? Why Not. on October 14, 2000 14:46:24 UTC

Astrologers don`t use telescopes and you are not ready to by one until you have grown in the Hobby to a point that you are secure in the difference.

I suggest that you join a club or at least find some star parties to attend so that you might explore the different equipment.

In general I would suggest getting as much aperture for your buck as possible. Considerations though, are quality and transportability. If you have a good place to keep the scope set up permanently, that is best. Especially if you also live there.

Watch your local paper and internets places of sale for a good used scope. The best performance for your dollar will probably be in the form of a Newtonian. I would not reccomend anything smaller than a 6" and 8" is almost twice as good for just a little more weight. With an 8" Newtonian, you will see about eight times as many objects that you would completely miss in the scope you were thinking of. Discovery Telescopes sells New- An 8" f:5 Newtonian on an aluminum tripod with clock drive for $599. This may not be the best scope for Planets but there will always be a few people around with a scope like that on the rare occasions that it makes the difference. Get a Norton`s Star Atlas and start learning the sky.

Have Fun,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins