Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Flexing A Sphere Into A Parabola

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on September 22, 2000 17:15:42 UTC

Hi Pete.

No doubt the bolt would be removed when coated.

Know what? I believe the difficulty factor in producing a good sphere and a good paraboloid is mainly a myth perpetuated by those than have never figured a mirror. Note that I said "good". I have seen some people have a better feel for the work and I use a null test to do my work so the figure is like working for a sphere in a foucault test.

I polished to a paraboloid on my 22" in about 4 hrs. Prior I had polished a 16" to a sphere and then to a paraboloid and that took about twice as long for a much smaller mirror.

I used the same size tool for both (12.5")but a heavier one on the 22". The 22 is Pyrex the 16" is plate and I had to wait longer for testing. I used the foucalt test and mask for the 16" and a null test for the 22".

Try making some paraboloids even in cheap plate glass before going rinky-dink with a stress bolt and I believe you will be happier.

Have Fun,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins