Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
SonoTube For Telescope

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on August 29, 2000 16:13:14 UTC

I have used SonoTube and Burke Tube and they are excellant but heavy. They come waterproofed but I found automobile paint will cover the waxy coating with out stipping. The stuff sold at places like the Home Base and Home Depot is a cheap light weight immatation that is not water proofed and is available only in short lenghts. Still with reinforcing internal baffles it should hold up well also. I still prefer aluminum or truss.

One extra note about cardboard. One should cap both ends with aluminum bands. Once protected the tube is extremely durable but other wise the ends tend to get ragged and moisture can penetrate and weaken the tube.

Have Fun,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins