Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: SonoTube For Telescope

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Walt Hamler on August 29, 2000 16:38:13 UTC

Concur! BTW, I just ordered and received some reinforved vinyl trim material to cover/protect my two dobs. The stuff is great and only .44 per ft. I got 25 ft for less than 16.00 including shipping.
I have also put aluminum flatstock, 1"x1/8" thick, curved to match the inside diameter of my 10" dob at each end. One to mount the spyder through and the other to hold the mirror cell. These greatly increase the rigidity of the tube.
I didn`t peel the waxed paper on the inside of my 10" dob as the wax seemed to have already melted (it was an older tube) and simply put a couple coats of polyurethane and then flat black latex. The 6" dob however was a new piece of sonotube and the wax layer peeled off quite readily. It left just enough tooth that after the polyurethane and flat black coatings it is exceptionally black!

Walt

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins