Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: Less On Money

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Walt Hamler on August 21, 2000 01:24:02 UTC

Robert,
Who is the supplier? Pyrex or Plate? I recently got a quote from Newport Glass for a 14.5" x 1.5" thick plate for 118.75 and 175.00 for a 16" x 1.5" thick. They also quoted 40.00 to generate a f/6 curve. I`d like opinions on these prices from others more knowledgable than myself. I`ve been chasing pyrex from several east coast suppliers or jobbers, and they range from 450~600+ for 1.5 to 2.5 " thick at 16" diameter. the lower prices are for unground (not flat or parallel) to 600+ for polished and parallel. I have about decided to go ahead with a 14.5" plate just to do one from plate as a test. Our clum in MD (years ago) made a 14" from a porthole that worked well once it had stabilized with the air temp, but I really didn`t use it that much as I had a 12.5 in with full thickness pyrex.
Thanks,
Walt Hamler

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins