Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: The High Cost Of PYREX

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Stephen Campbell on May 6, 2000 10:27:14 UTC

Aint that a bitch,pyrex blanks like every other
item on the market seems to be grossly overpriced!
the problem i think is the fact that there is alot of people making 30-40 grand a year,most folks making less are not into optics anyhow, about 2-years ago united lens co.listed their 16"blanks
for $1000,of coarse there has been a price increase,how does the average TN makin say 16K a year really afford even a 16"?,another problem i
think is the research universitys and companys who
have a huge budget, it is no problem to spend a mere $5000 on a 25" blank.
Amateurs started it all,i think its time we get
back to the roots and start experimenting,casting
our own blanks,,making our our own eyepeices,interferrometers,etc. and say screw these guys, those guys at the U of A are arrogant
mental midgets,i would challenge anyone of them to
produce just one 1/10 wave 6"f/4,they are helpless without a zygo,i made 2 6"f/3 1/30pv!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins