Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Can I Make A Convex Mirror??

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Huggins/">John Huggins on April 10, 1998 09:12:57 UTC

The problem with the magnifying glass is that the light will travel through it twice to reach the eyepiece. I suppose with careful design, your suggestion is possible.

Also, store bought optics tend to be of low quality.

For best results and simple contruction, I suggest you stick with a good ol' 6 inch or 8 inch diameter concave mirror with a parabola shape. This is a tried and true design used by thousands of amateurs. Making the tube assembly will be your most difficult part, but, with steady work, it can be done.

For your first telescope I suggest purchasing the mirror rather than grinding it yourself. You have a whole lifetime to tackle a grinding project. Plus these mirrors are not very expensive like they use to be.

One avenue you may consider is the purchase of a complete kit from somebody like "StarGazer Steve." You still build much of it yourself, but have the guidance of a kit's design backing you up.

I believe a "first" telescope should be obtained quickly so you can begin using it sooner than later.

You can lookup Stargazer Steve and others in the Astronomy Resourse Locator on this site.

Sincerely, John

• Astronomy Resource Locator

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins