Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Can I Make A Convex Mirror??

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Matt Sandoval on April 10, 1998 21:35:08 UTC

John, Thanks for your answer. I understand now why it won't work that well. I really appreciate your help. Matt Sandoval : The problem with the magnifying glass is that the light will travel through it twice to reach the eyepiece. I suppose with careful design, your suggestion is possible.

: Also, store bought optics tend to be of low quality.

: For best results and simple contruction, I suggest you stick with a good ol' 6 inch or 8 inch diameter concave mirror with a parabola shape. This is a tried and true design used by thousands of amateurs. Making the tube assembly will be your most difficult part, but, with steady work, it can be done.

: For your first telescope I suggest purchasing the mirror rather than grinding it yourself. You have a whole lifetime to tackle a grinding project. Plus these mirrors are not very expensive like they use to be.

: One avenue you may consider is the purchase of a complete kit from somebody like "StarGazer Steve." You still build much of it yourself, but have the guidance of a kit's design backing you up.

: I believe a "first" telescope should be obtained quickly so you can begin using it sooner than later.

: You can lookup Stargazer Steve and others in the Astronomy Resourse Locator on this site.

: Sincerely, : John

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins