Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Meter Mirror Makers Club

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Dave Meleg/">Dave Meleg on January 31, 2000 19:18:59 UTC

: I want to start an informal Meter Mirror Makers Club. To be part of the group all you need is to be planning a meter or above size : scope and have already made from the flat Pyrex blank to a usable scope, a half meter or more in diameter. This is for individuals : that have gound, polished, figured and currently own said scope. Consideration may be given to group participants if they can : exhibit the knowlege and experience required. This Club is not being formed to buy or sell materials of any kind but rather to : identify those that have a common interest, a proven ability and could be depended upon if some or all wish to participate in a : group purchase or activity.

: One purpose of this is to weed out the wannabes but also to work on a source of materials for large optics at discounted prices. If : we say, make a bulk pyrex buy and have 40" blanks cut, annealed and slumped, we want to only be dealing with others that have : the proven confidence and capabilty to commit and proceed. I have developed sources for slabbed to slumped blanks but may : build an annealing and slumping oven. If I build the oven it may be in AZ but currently all sources and facilities are in San Diego : County.

: I am always glad to help people in their telescope project but to be fair to those who have proven they are can-do people, I have to : limit this to the reasonable effort of 20" Pyrex, equivalent or better glass mirror makers. Don't ask about cheap plate! And I don't : care if Mt. Wilson's 60" is made of the stuff. It is also 10" thick.

: For those of you that would like to make a more reasonable sized scope I am arranging for the supply of fine annealed blanks in : the 16-30 inch range and a new type of all glass tool from 8" to 30" . I will post more about this. Please no just curious inquiries.

: Clear Skies, : -Rick

Rick; At this exact moment I canot participate in the meter club, but I have a desire to push some glass again. The largest I've completed so far is a 16" full thickness f4.5. But that was nearly 20 years ago, and I've finally got the time and resources to make a 20" or 24". Any chance of BVC material to keep the initial cost down? Regards,

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins