Back to Home

Astrophotography Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Astrophotography | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Digital Cameras

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Daniel Johnson on June 1, 2003 12:43:52 UTC

The bad news: yes, you would need a laptop. The good news: you can in fact achieve similar results with a digital camera--I've done both. You'll need a special adapter to couple your digital camera to an eyepiece. Visit scopetronix.com , which both sells the adapters and has an informative article about using digital cameras.
A few thoughts: Jupiter is about 50 arcseconds across. A typical amateur scope of 8 inches or larger can resolve details about 0.5 arsceconds. So, choose a zoom level that puts Jupiter at least 100 pixels wide, and preferably 150 to 200. You'll find a tradeoff between zoom and exposure time, i.e. more zoom requires longer exposures. Shorter exposures freeze the atmospheric fuzz better.
If you can rig your camera to take multiple pictures successively, do so, i.e. snap off 10 or 20 in a row. If you can keep the picture resolution down to VGA or XGA resolution, you may still be able to use Registax, one of the programs mentioned in the webcam article, to combine the exposures. You'll need to get several in a very short time without rotating the camera at all relative to the scope (which can be done if it is coupled to the eyepiece--see scopetronix.com).
A webcam can record pictures far faster and average hundreds of them, but a digital camera gives better quality for each individual frame. So far my success with the two has been about the same, i.e. averaging 12 fairly good photos comes out about the same as averaging 150 mediocre ones.
Finally, you can get a few not-too-terrible shots just by holding your digital camera to the eyepiece and taking a single photo.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins