Back to Home

XEphem Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | XEphem Ephemeris Software Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Segmentation Fault - RH7

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Craig Kulesa on December 21, 2000 08:38:05 UTC

I think I can shed some light on the "Jupiter
view crashes in Redhat 7" issue.

[Summary: Sawfish, GNOME 1.2's default window manager, seems to clash with a few of xephem's planetary views. Using a different window manager with GNOME works just fine. This is NOT a gcc or glibc problem.]

I've been building xephem RPM packages for Redhat 6.x and Redhat 7 for a while now, and all planetary views worked fine for me. But I was running WindowMaker, not the full GNOME environment.

Sure enough, if I run the stock GNOME 1.2 environment with the Sawfish window manager, the jupiter-uranus views kill xephem. The window pops up but before the contents are displayed, it segfaults. This happens even when running the Redhat 6.x packages, so this exonerates gcc.

However, if I go into the GNOME control panel and tell GNOME to use a different window manager (like WindowMaker), all views work just fine under GNOME, in any color depth.

So it's not strictly a GNOME issue, but more likely a window manager clash?

I can recompile with full debugging and send info from gdb, if it'll still help.

Craig Kulesa

FYI: You can get xephem RPM packages at http://loke.as.arizona.edu/~ckulesa/xephem/

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins