Back to Home

UFO Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | UFO Discussion and Tracking | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It's All A Matter Of Perspective

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Ben Kurtz on August 2, 2001 21:44:07 UTC

Tony,

The gentleman never said that this object was brighter than any any jet he's ever seen...he describes "four or so" bright lights. Now I don't know if you've ever seen an aircraft with it's landing lights on, but it would look very much like the account describes.

As far as picking up speed is concerned if it was a B-1 it very well could have been traveling at a high rate of speed the whole time, the gentleman mentioned that the aircraft was moving toward him. When objects are moving toward you it's very hard to judge their speed because there is little to reference it from. Go to a large airport and watch the planes come in, they will have their landing lights on many miles before they land, the's lights tend to look like they're swaying, and although they are moving at 200-300 mph on the approach, you cant tell that by looking at them, they look like they're just hanging in the air. Buffeting of the aircraft by the wind,or heat ripples from the ground can make a plane appear to be moving from side to side. When the aircraft turned, perspective with which to compare against was gained. This made the object appear to move quickly instead of just "hanging" in the sky.

The distance covered in 30 seconds is based on what? A guess. A guess that could be in the general ballpark, but is probably very inaccurate. It is extremely difficult to judge distances that an object travels in the air from the ground, appearances aren't always what they seem. I'm just saying that the speed isn't anything special the craft is operating well within the capabilities of most military aircraft.

You're reaching too far on this one and seeing things that aren't there. The bottom line is that there is not enough information to decide EXACTLY what it was that this man saw, but there is enough IMO to make an educated guess. The most likely explanation is that he saw a military aircraft.

Making a snap judgement about my being a UFO dissenter based on the fact that I tried to provide a rational, well thought out, explanation for what this person saw is a very short sighted and unintellegent approach. Immediately jumping on a claim like this and embracing it as yet more definitive proof that alien spacecraft are visiting our world damages your possible credibility, and is a big obstacle preventing the acceptance of the fact that this may really be going on in the first place.

I believe that there is a high probablilty that there IS something out there, but I've never seen enough proof to have absolute certainty.

Persons with the kind of attitude and blind acceptance that you've shown to this point do more harm for your cause than you contribute to it. You can bag on me all you want for not being some blind UFO believer, but I'll always ask questions, because the truth IS out there but if you are blind you'll never see it...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins