Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Another Perspective On M31 And M33

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jason Oliphant on November 23, 2003 23:12:00 UTC

ok. this is months later; but I just couldn't resist the chance to add my experience on M31 and M33. I've seen both in a 5" reflector and in binocs, and there's no contest; binocs win out for interest.

In my 15*70 M31 spreads out like two water fountains. this is a soft glow spraying out from an indistinct core, that must go out 1° or so. the dissapointment is understandable with a scope, you're just seeing 1/3 of the picture even at low magnification. you might see detail I can't, but in binocs M31 demand your respect for its sheer size.

M33 was a fun object that with good contrast is easy and catching in binocs. you've seen old star treks TV shoes showing inconspicious amoebe blobs and you've seen M33 in bincos. I like forward to the night with enough contrast to make out one or two M33 major structures. many of those have ngc numbers. I know I can see them with a good enough night and some determination...

I'd not give up on M33/31 with a scope because of its appearance that doesn't even begin to look like the pictures. But I do recommend looking viewing it with big aperature binocs to appreciate the 'big' picture.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins