Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Great Night 10/24

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by L Madia on October 29, 2003 07:04:13 UTC

HI,

I went out Friday 10/24 about 10:00. The weather was great. Temp in the mid to low 40's, slight wind, pretty clear. I had my 114mm reflector, (just got bad news from Orion that my newly ordered xt8 will not arrive till 12/03) my assortment of GTO plossls, and my Celestron 2x barlow.

Very good view of the Double Cluster. Many stars visible with much contrast even when using my 40mm ep. Normally the best contrast is achieved with the 32mm or 25mm ep.

I than went to The Pleiades and was greated with a nice sight. This cluster was lower to the horizon and thus now quite as clear as the Double Cluster. Yet it was very appealing.

On to Andromeda and again a very good view as that galaxy was almost directly over head. Using my 32mm provided the best view, (that and a bit of averted vision).

I could not locate M34. Anyone have advice to find that gem?

I went in about 12:00, but keep the scope at ready. I got up about 5:00 and went back out. I knew Orion, Saturn, and Jupiter would be visible and they didn't let me down.

Orion was quite clear, however the Nebula as not as apparent as at other times. I went from 32mm to my 9mm but nothing seemed to help. None the less I got good seperation on the Trapezuim.

Saturn was wonderful. At 125X I could make out the Casinni Divison Also, some cloud detail was visible. Very clear and at times when the seeing was steady a breathtaking sight.

Jupiter did not disapoint. At 125X the NEB and the SEB were very clear. Some cloud detail both in the N and S Hemiphears. Just a great sight.

I stayed out till dawn.

Later,

Lenny

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins