Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What I See

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by L Madia on October 3, 2003 04:37:29 UTC

Hi Thom,

I can make out some Martian detail, Ie I have observed both Ice caps, and some ground detail.
I have observed the Casini Division of Saturn and I have seen moon transits of Jupiter along with the GRS.

I have recently gotton up early and got a good look at the Orion Nebula. With adverted vision and a 9mm GTO Plossl barlowed at 2X I can get a great look at the Nebula. I often just go with a 32mm GTO Plossl for the wider fov.

I have observed the Double Cluster, the BeeHive cluster and other open and various Globular Clusters.

My main problem with my 114mm reflector is in its inabliity to bring deep sky objects. A good example is when I observe Andromeda. It looks more like a Globular Cluster than a galaxy.

However, at this time the 114mm is about the best I can do. I have thought of getting a larger scope, but besides money is what to buy. I mean I have limited space and a very light poluted sky to deal with. Thus, I am unsure if a larger scope will help. Also time is an issue. Because of my schedule I seldom have time to plan observations. I usually just take advantage of the sky and set up. My 114mm can cool down in about 15 to 30 munutes. It is easy to set up and break down. I am unsure if I had a large scope that I would use it more. In fact it might get less use. So all of those factors and porbably others are holding me back. Thus, for now, I am injoying my modest scope.

Lenny

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins