Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Texoma 07/24/03

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Thom Bolin on July 25, 2003 19:29:33 UTC

Well I find myself out again on a very seldom cool night in north Texas in the middle of summer. My 5yr wanted to go see Mars at 10:00. So out we went, even though Mars wasn't up yet it was a fun although short session with my Tasco. As some of you know from the past post I have done quite a bit of modification to the Tasco. I started off just picking out stars in the sky for the purpose of checking the spotting scope. I haven't been out for a few months and it was still fairly close. Every time she looked through she was amazed at was 'Mars' looked like. We hit a couple of singles and then I decided to have a look the double in the BigDipper handle, at 28x. I could easily see the first double and then could also make out the close double in the handle, not sure of the names though. By then the bugs had found us and my 5 yr old decided it was time to go inside.

Two reasons I post this, first is to let people that have a Tasco know that it is usable and fun as long as you don't sit your sights to high, and bringing a little one along is a great way to start them out early.

I haven't posted in quite awhile so Hello BobSal and Bobmay, both of whom have helped me out termedously.
Quick question: How high of a magnification do you need to be able to see mars as more than just a bright spot.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins