Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Glimpse Of Mercury

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Matthew Sullivan on April 22, 2002 15:12:39 UTC

Hi people,

Since last night was mostly clear I was able to bring my binoculars outside for a few brief moments to gaze at the planetary lineup in the western sky. It took me 15 minutes to spot Venus in the binocs; the sun was just setting and the sky was relatively bright. Once I found it I adjusted and readjusted the focus till I got it as close as I could to a point. I had checked SkyMap Pro earlier to see where Mercury was. After I spotted Venus I looked down and to the right and found nothing. After another 10 minutes of fiddling with the focus I tried again, and after making an extra effort to hold them steady I finally found it. Wasn't much to see, just a pin prick in the sunset glow, but one I had never seen before!

By this time Jupiter was easily visible to the naked eye and Saturn was an easy find in the binocs. The only planet I didn't find was Mars, but I didn't want to risk freezing my fingers off to see a planet I had seen many times before. That was my thrill for the day! :)

Ciao,
Matt

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins