Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Me Too...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Matthew Sullivan on March 25, 2002 01:54:38 UTC

Hi people,

Just got in from a quick 30-minute peek at a small handful of celestial treats through semi-transparent skies before heavier clouds started rolling in - our (Burlington, VT) first break from overcast evening skies in at least a week. I can only speculate it was a little reward from the Guy in charge up there for finally finishing off my taxes! :)

Since I could see the heavier clouds in the distance moving from west to east my observations through the 8x40 binoculars went in the same direction. In addition to this handicap, the moonlight shining down on high spotty clouds made things especially interesting. I struck out on all the faint fuzzies - the Double Cluster, the Andromeda Galaxy, M35 and M41 were nowhere to be found. The Pleides were a nice sight as was the extended Alpha Persei cluster.

Since the planets are bright enough to break through the clouds they made good targets. I could barely make out all four moons around Jupiter through a small break in the clouds. I spent a little too much time on Saturn trying to get a hint of the ring, though I couldn't quite hold the binos steady enough. If I had only thought to stop my pulse I could have had it!

The spectacle and the challenge of the night was M44, the Beehive Cluster in Cancer. This fantastic little cluster was just 5 degrees from a fat gibbous moon, but surprisingly I had no problem finding it. I could only count 12 stars instead of the 22 I can see on a good night. The high clouds near the moon were especially bright and made quite a spectacle moving rapidly across the field of view. I gazed at this area of the sky until on-by-one these stars disappeared under the thickening clouds. After a quick look at Arcturus I called it a night.

Ciao,
Matt

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins