Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Excellent Night

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by L Madia on March 9, 2002 05:30:55 UTC

3/9/02 at North Central West Virginia. Approximately 9:00 to 10:15 pm...

I had a great time tonight. The temp was in the mid 50"s and the sky pretty clear. I pulled out my 114mm Tasco reflecter and started out with Saturn. I could tell I was in for a good night as I easily found the planet with the 20mm ep and could see Titan without trouble. I could see her in the 20mm, increased to the 12.5mm and finally used the 4mm. A good views. I even put the 3x Barlow on all the eps and got good looks with the 20 and the 12.5.

Next went to Orion. Been having a hard time finding the Nebula lately as my neibors house has been in the way, but no tonight. I scanned the belt and moved down till I picked up a double star system. I than moved further down in the constellation till I found the heart of the Nebula, the quad star. I was using the 20mm, but to get the seperation of the four stars I increased to the 12.5 and than just for fun, I used the 4mm....great views.

I next picked up my favorite target-Jupiter. Tonight was the best view I have had. Even with the 20mm I could see better detail than ever before. The planet seemed unusually clear, but I could only see 3 moons. I stepped up to the 12.5mm and I found that two of the inner moons were so close to each other I need the extra power to seperate them. I observed three to four bands of blue gas. Faintly, out of the corner of my eye I believe I caught a glimps of a fifth moon, or maybe just a far off star.

I increassed to the 4mm and picked up the best view yet. The inner bands of blue were very distinct while the outer bands would at times suddenly come into focus. I put in the 12.5mm with the 3x barlow and had another wonderful view.

It was a great night for viewing.....

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins