Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Cold But Good

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by L Madia on March 1, 2002 05:14:27 UTC

I spent another cold, but good night observing.
Using my Tasco 114mm reflecter, I set her outside for about 1/2 hr to cool down. I started with a 20mm.I went to orion 1st and found the orion nebula. I centered on the quad star system in the center and increased the ep to the 12.5mm. Keeping centered I again increassed to the 4mm.

I know it is better to view the nebula with the 20mm or lower, but I was trying to get a better look at the quad star system.

I took a short look at the star system of the Big Dipper, but because of the street light that I must fight every night I could not get a good view.

I was getting pretty cold, but I wanted a look at Jupiter. The planet was almost directly over head thus I figured I could get a pretty good view. I started out with the 20mm, than went to the 12.5mm. I took out the 3x barlow and put the 20mm in and got a very good look. I could see the 2 bands of blue, and for just a second or two I noticed a third band in the Northern Latitude.

I popped in the 4mm and got another good view. Though I picked up more athmopheric disturbances, I sort of looked through the disturbances-IE ignored it, and picked up more details of Jupiter.

Unfortunately by now my fingers were numb and it was getting late. I had to go in. However it was another great night.

By the way, I understand some of you have questioned how I can get a good look at any planet with the sr4mm ep that was provided by Tasco with the scope. (I know the ep is a cheap one and I am aware of the bad rep Tasco has) I can't explain it except to say that since I am new at this perhaps I don't know what a good look is. Or as they say one man's treasure is another man's junk. I know my scope is properly culminated as I did a crude culmination test that was provided on the web site a few days ago. Maybe that has something to do with it. Note that I have to be very patient when using the 4mm as it takes a while to focus. I never use the spotter scope and the 4mm to find an object. I find it with the 20 or 12.5mm and then use the 4mm. I note the direction the object in relationship to the earths rotation and I set the scope so that the object is centered and just ready to come into view. Than I put the 4mm in the focuser and hope for the best...

At any rate, having a great time in North Central West .
Virginia.... talk to you all later.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins