Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Occultation Of Saturn

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Bob Sal on February 21, 2002 14:57:11 UTC

Hi All;

I could see the moon through the clouds about 6:30. I figured I'd give it a shot. I set up the scope and the video camera hoping to get a video. By 7:00 I couldn't even see the moon. I attempted a 2 star alignment just guessing where the stars were when I noticed I could see Sirius through the clouds. I quickly changed to a 1 star alignment which is not as accurate as the 2 star but at least it will track. By this time it was about 7:10. I pointed at Saturn and I could just about see it in the eyepiece. Good enough. I turned on the video camera and started to try to align it in the eyepiece. If any of you have ever tried this, you know it's easier said than done. I almost gave up, Saturn kept disappearing behind the clouds. I couldn't get it in the camera. I figured, let me just watch. Then like magic, just a few minutes before ShowTime, the clouds opened up and I got a clear view. I move the video camera into position and got Saturn in the view very quickly. I was just starting to adjust the focus on the scope, focus on the camera, zoom on the camera, exposure and lots of other stuff, when the occultation started. I got it! Not exactly the image I wanted. It's off center, small, out of focus and too bright, but I got it. Had it been clear I would have got a great video. But I got something and under the circumstances I'm happy with that. The reappearance was clouded out. Better luck next time. Any idea when that is?
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins