Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
ETX 90EC

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by midstar on December 14, 2008 21:20:37 UTC

Hey there. You would take your telescope focal length divided by your selected eyepiece's focal length. Your etx 90's focal length is 1250mm. So if you were using a 26mm eye piece. it would be 1250/26 = 73X If you use a barlow lense you would multiply your focal result by 2. ie. 73 x 2 =146x.

For eye pieces, I would suggest having 26mm, 18mm, 9mm, and a 5mm.. Those are good to start with. For viewing the moon it's good to start with a 26mm to find your target view are, then work your way down in mm lenses for more specific areas or parts of your viewing object, and adjust your focuser accordingly. I have an etx 90AT.. I haven't looked at Saturn yet, but I would imagine that an 18mm would be a good start, for actual detail viewing I would suggest a 5mm lense, and make sure you are using a barlow eyepiece with all of these.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins