Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
125 EXT PE Help? NEWBIE

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Ron Kramer on February 20, 2008 22:36:44 UTC

Hi all - I've had a Meade 8" SCT for well - 10+ years... It's been used very little. (and for sale) it's just to large for me to bring out and setup easily. Since I'm thinking of selling - I wanted to replace it with something I'd use.

I picked up a new 125PE. so far I really like it... but haven't had it outdoors etc.

I have some questions, if you'd be so kind to help. First - it was a good deal (695) new.
I'm wondering if it's because it's a blem? the tube looks like it didn't get a layer of BLUE during printing. See it here... (is this normal)?

http://www.portranet.com/ftp/125pe-tube.jpg

It's a brownish background sky - and nebula is a light pink wash. Looks nasty like someone took acetone to clean it. All the pics online show the background as blue. Mine appears the blue was never applied.

Next question. It allows 12v AC - I have a 12V adapter here, but afraid to try it (I don't want to fry it). The 12v adapter I have says.

120V 60hz 15w 12VDC 700ma (I suspect it should work) it also says that the enter pin is + and the surround is - (is this correct?)
The plug fits... but do I dare use it?

Lets see... I had other questions.

Oh - the fact that the laptop interface uses RS232 Seems obserd to me! (is this to support OLD software?) why not USB? anyway - ordered a USB to RS232 adapter... but is there any way to use it without this adapter? my dell laptop has only firewire, USB's and net connection.

Next: what software works with the interface other than the one that came with the scope? (which seems a bit crude). Does Starry night backward work with GO TO not he scope?

I think that's all for now (OH - I was surprised to see my eye pieces from my 8" SCT fit the 125! I thought the 125's would be smaller!
IS there a way I can use my older 8" sct t-adapter and camera mount on the 125? The back connection is smaller than my 8" SCT. I saw a ring on scopetronics that I THINK will adapt my 8" sct photo-t-adpater to the 125?

anything I should know? (good freeware etc?)
thanks!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins