Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
EXT-105

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Ron on November 3, 2005 05:42:24 UTC

Steve the EXT's are notorious for not tracking right. Its a 50/50 chance you get one that tracks correctly. Members of a small group I go to Star parties with have the same scope I do and exactly the same problems with Autostar. A few weeks ago mine was sent back to Meade because it locked up on its own for no apparent reason, while slewing to an object usually. The only recourse was to do a power reset which then required a full alignment again. Now I have it back and it still has problems slewing and finding common objects but no lockup problem. A perfect example is when I slewed from Polaris to Pleiades and the scope pointed about 30 degrees to its west and 10 degrees down. This was repeated after 3 supposed "sucessful" alignments. Absolutely no reason for the sloppy finding capabilities ,but they happen with Autostar. My Celestron on the other hand has never turned into Mr. Magoo when slewing to a star. I know which brand my next scope will be. Dont let the poor finding ruin your enjoyment of the sky, adjust and wait till something better comes up.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins