Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Autostar - Beginner Needs Help!!!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Scott Nelson on March 20, 2005 00:22:47 UTC

I'm fairly new to astronomy, and I have an LXD55 AR-6, and I'm just starting to get familiar with Autostar, but I need a little bit of help with Autostar's tracking/goto features. I'm having trouble getting my scope to track objects..

I have trained the drives and balanced the scope according to the instructions in the owner's manual, and I have also followed the tracking instructions, as far as I can tell, to the letter. I have set the polar home position by finding Polaris (using the big dipper as a reference). I have the scope facing north, as close to the direction of Polaris as possible. I have the weight shaft pointing straight down as suggested in the instructions, and the telescope pointed directly at Polaris. Then I use the arrows on the keypad to move the telescope, and I found Saturn and centered it in the eyepeice, then set "Targets - Astronmical", and the telescope begins to track. The problem is, Saturn still eventually slowly drifts out of the field of view. Sometimes it appears that Saturn is holding it's position in the field of view, then it begins to slowly creep. I have new batteries powering Autostar, so the batteries couldn't be the problem either.

So, I have followed the instructions as closely as I can, and I am not having any luck. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong? Could there be a problem with my scope's computer? I bought this telescope brand new from Scope City, so I wouldn't think anything would be defective with my scope, but who knows.

Any help or suggestions you can give are most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins