Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Leaning Towards The AR-5

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rob Bailey on December 3, 2003 05:45:30 UTC

Dave - I've been thinking about the 4" Orion refractor you mentioned, but if I went that route I'd probably soon kick myself that I didn't spend a little more and get the 5" with all the other advantages (dual axis drive, eyepiece special).

So, I'm leaning towards the AR-5, actually the AR-5 EC, and upgrade that in the near future. 90% of my observing will be done in my front yard, in a city of 200,000. There aren't any high street lights in our neighborhood, but a bunch of porch lights. Also, my main interest is lunar, with planets second. So, I'm assuming those things tip the scales towards the refractor instead of the dob. I checked with the Meade rep and he said the EC qualifies for the eyepiece special.

About how long does it take to set up the scope when taking it outside? Unless thats a big deterent, it sounds like 5" is ideal. I've been looking at possible places to buy a used one (don't know of any besides Astromart) before I ordered it from Meade. I figured used refractors would still maintain their optics unless they've been abused.

Thanks for all your help. I really enjoy reading all your posts on this and the Yahoo board.

Rob

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins