Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Activity Of The Site

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Daniel Johnson on October 4, 2003 03:20:35 UTC

One reason this site is less active than you might expect is that each of the various Meade scope models has its own site somewhere on the Web, and often several such places. For example, you will find a huge amount of information on the various ETX models at Weasner's Mighty ETX site, http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html .
Regarding dew shields, they can be made of many things--it is important that the inner surface be a flat black color so that it will not reflect stray light into your scope. You can start with a cardboard tube or buy many variants. I have an ETX-90 that I seldom use now (I've bought a 10-inch LX200GPS and use the ETX optics as a guide scope for it), but I have enjoyed the screw-on type of dew shield made by Meade for the ETX scopes--it uses the same threads that the front lens cover uses. You can find it at scopetronix.com , a reputable vendor who has treated me well (nearly always getting my order right, and correcting the rare, inevitable human mistakes without complaint). Other good vendors include astronomics.com and optcorp.com .
Pointing accuracy improves if you do a very careful job with the Train Drives command--do this with either a crosshair eyepiece (if you have or can borrow one) or a high-power eyepiece. Leveling the scope carefully is also helpful--buy an inexpensive bubble level.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins