Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Alignment Of LX200GPS

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Daniel Johnson on September 25, 2003 02:20:59 UTC

First, let me suggest that you post your question on the Yahoo! LX200GPS support group page, at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LX200GPS/
There are over 2500 members and it is a very active group. (Don't be discouraged by the complaints you'll see there. Most members love their scopes and are out using them, and only the disgruntled few are in complaining. Some of them are very vocal. My scope has been one of the best purchases of my life).
By Calibrate scope, do you mean Calibrate Sensors? That's an important step--or at least it was back in the early firmware versions.
Are you sure the scope is set properly for type of mount (altazimuth or polar, depending on your personal setup) and that it is not set for terrestrial objects? You may be trying to slew to an altazimuth coordinate with a scope that thinks it's in polar mode. Or,the firmware often comes set to terrestrial as default, in which case stellar tracking and alignment won't work well, if at all.
I had some initial trouble, but very careful training of the drives with a reticle eyepiece and careful calibrating of sensors made all the difference. That was back when I worked in altazimuth mode. For over a year I've done polar alignment only, and that's a different process, so my memory of the altazimuth procedure dates from firmware version 1.3t or earlier. With either 1.3t or 1.6b firmware my scope has performed well, but there was a learning curve.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins