Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Agreement--at Least On Diagonals.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Daniel Johnson on June 22, 2003 14:13:41 UTC

Yes, I prefer mirror diagonals--no chance of chromatic aberration.
As for large Dobs, the Obsession company (well-chosen name) makes at least 25-inchers, maybe even 30. Several of my friends own them. And they are made to be dismantled into smaller components, quickly and easily. You can transport at least a 20-inch in the back of a Subaru station wagon--they can be much more compact than a 16-inch Meade Dob.
I even once saw a set of 30-inch binoculars. Yes, you read right. A fellow had rigged two 30-inch Dob mirrors with some extra optics--a complex arrangement, but it worked.
As for getting a good scope for your money, there's no doubt that a 6-inch achromat qualifies.
You've made a reasonable choice.
But as for the contrast issue, I'll make a long post here in a couple of days. It's much, much more complex than just the "central obstruction" thing. And the resurgence of small refractors (I own one, by the way) has more to do with their ability to give very wide-field views with minimal vignetting and good off-axis correction than with the central obstruction. For deep-sky photography, the central obstruction is just a non-issue, but the vignetting from the baffling needed in SCTs is an issue. Also, the short focal length of the premium refractors makes them excellent wide-field camera lenses. I salivate over the ads for TeleVue and Takahashi premium refractors.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins