Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Star Diagonals & Leviathans

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by David Filipowski on June 21, 2003 19:16:35 UTC

Hi Scott.

Okay, the star diagonal is what you put the eyepiece into on the back of your telescope if you are using either a refractor or SCT. It's either that, or taking lots of Yoga courses to be able to bend your neck and back into positions most likely outlawed under the Geneva Convention.

Shaped like an 'L' for lack of better graphics on this forum, the light going through your scope is angled upwards to your eyepiece by either a mirror or prism. Prism diagonals are usually regarded as inferior to the finely made mirrors available today. Available in either 1.25" or 2", it is advisable to have one that is 2" if your scope has a 2" drawtube for the focuser. The AR-6 indeed does. Though you may do the majority of your viewing using 1.25" EP's, someday you will probably want to add at least one 2" EP to your collection for getting the infamous "Looking out the window of a starship" feeling! Most 2" diagonals available come with a 1.25" adapter to accomodate both sizes. The 'Cracker-Jack' toy that Meade includes is a 1.25" if memory serves me. I threw it in a black hole I keep in my home for things that annoy me.

Regards are Leviathans of 25"+ made for sale? Yes they sure are! There are ads and photos of such in Sky & Telescope, as well as Astronomy magazine. And the occasional photo from star parties of people balanced on ladders looking into the eyepieces of these monsters. These are usually made with trusses, rather than solid tubes, for ease(!) of assembly and transport - with the mirrors stored in a seperate box compartment often equipped with wheels.

Now I'll go back to my corner here and wait to be refuted on mirrors beating prisms, or something! Hahaha!!! Us amateur astronomers are always fighting over what works best for what. Kind of like people with expensive foriegn sports cars. Only me drive in outer space!

Clear Skies,

Dave

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins