Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
12" LX200 Owner For 3 Years Now

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on April 4, 2003 18:03:34 UTC

You've made a good choice. I know a few people with the 12"LX200 and every one is very happy. Most 10" owners, after seeing my 12", wish they ahd gone for the 12". I don't know anyone with the 12" who wishes they got the 10". As the other post said, it's heavy. I'm 48 yrs old, 5'11" 250+ lbs, a regular at Power house GYM, and have no trouble with it. A smaller man with no physical disabilities shouldn't have a problem either. Sorry ladies, I'm sure there are some, but I don't know any women who can lift it by themselves. I move mine around on a hand truck wrapped with a movers pad and bungee cords. I wheel it from the garage about 125 ft to my observing area in the yard. Then I just lift it onto the tripod. Piece of cake! I slide the hand truck with scope attached into the back of the minivan and take it anywhere. I do this all myself. A buddy of mine is only 5'7" (same age) 160lbs, not a regular GYM member and does the same thing with his. The 12" is easier to set up than the 10". The bottom of the fork mount lines up with the top of the tripod. The bolt pretty much slides in with no trouble because they line right up. (Of course mine is the older version not the GPS. Looking at the pictures, I'm pretty sure it's still the same). With the 10" you get the smaller tripod and it's a pain in the neck to get it lined up since the fork bottom is bigger than the top of the tripod. Anyway, the 12" is heavy and not for everyone. It's 70lbs and if you have any doubts about lifting it think about it, but the 10" is not much lighter. The 8" is not bad at all to lift, but when you look in eyepiece, there's huge differnce between the 8" and the 12". You sound like you can probably handle it. It would be great if you get to a star party where someone has one and see they will let you try to lift it. Good Luck.
Keep us posted.
That's it;
BOB SAL
P.S. The 12"LX200 never disappoints me. It's a thrill every time I set up. After 3 years, the novelity just never wears off.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins