Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
LX200 Portability

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Daniel Johnson on March 30, 2003 02:09:06 UTC

I'm a 45-year-old, smallish guy. First, the bad news: The first few times I tried to lift the LX200GPS 10-inch scope, the ergonomics did not seem good at all. I was afraid I would dash it on the pavement.
Now, the good news: with practice, I find it easy to mount the scope. I'm no longer afraid of dropping it. I just got used to it, and it isn't a problem. It's easy. But I wouldn't want a bigger scope, because 10 years from now I won't be able to handle anything bigger.
I do the majority of my work with a polar wedge, which eliminates the concern with difficulty in positioning the one central bolt on the bottom. In altazimuth mode, it is the central bolt rather than any question of handles that is the biggest bother, and I think Meade could have done better on the design here. Still, there are fixes for this problem, including inexpensive ones such as "the springy thingy" sold by Scopestuff.com , and more expensive ones such as accessory trays that can be left permanently on your tripod, and which have registration bumpers that make aligning the central bolt easy (see Scopetronix.com ).
I've had the LX200GPS 10-inch for about a year, and I love it. When I use it at home I leave it set up in my garage on a set of Wheely Bars from JMI. It takes 3 minutes to wheel the sucker out. Wheely Bars are a good addition for Celestron, too, I bet.
There is a highly active LX200GPS group in Yahoo! Before you buy, try joining that group and asking questions there.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins