Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
7" Mak Vs SCT

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Daniel Johnson on March 7, 2003 17:27:58 UTC

For deep space objects the 8" SCT is vastly superior to the Mak because of its focal ratio. The f/15 Mak just isn't good for deep space. Also, the focal reducers sold by Meade and Celestron are made to correct SCT optics, not Mak optics, and in any case you would only get around f/9.5 with the Mak, far too slow for deep space.
Also, the 10-inch SCT has the same price as the 7-inch Mak with twice the light grasp. It also has a two-inch unobstructed light path (if you add the Eye Opener II), vs. 1.5 inches for the 8-inch (and, I believe, the Mak). So you'll get less vignetting with the 10-inch, and its planetary views rival those of a 7-inch Mak. I own the 10-inch, and am just starting to do photography with it. (I've used it a lot to piggyback my 80mm Megrez refractor for deep space photography. Any of the Meade LX200s will work very well for piggybacking a refractor, and that may be the way to go if you want the Mak AND deep space).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins