Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
12"LX200 One Man Set Up

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on October 27, 2002 12:46:33 UTC

The 12" LX200 can be set up by one man alone. It's not for everyone, it is heavy, but I know lots of guys doing it all the time. I put it on a hand truck wrapped in a movers pad and bungee cords. All I do is lift it onto the fork mount and back off when done. Over at MAPUG.com (check them out if you havn't been there), if you search for transporting the LX200, you'll see most people have a similare arrangement. I've set up an 8", 10" & 12" LX200 and find the 12" to be the easiest even though it's the heaviest. The base of the scope matches the top of the tripod so it's real easy to get the bolt in, the holes line right up. That's not the case with the 8 & 10, the top of the tripod is smaller and you need to move the scope around to line it up. Real easy to knock it off if your doing it alone. Of course the 12" give you 2 sets of handles so 2 people can set it up easily. It's still doable by one person, but not everyone. I know a guy was offered the 12" at the same price as the 10" (brand new) he still opted for the 10", didn't think he counld handle the 12". Anyway, in my opinion, the average guy between say 20 and 55 in good health should have no problem with the 12". It's only about 10 lbs heavier than the 10", but out performs it a ton. I don't know anyone with a 12" LX200 who wishes they got the 10". Good Luck.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins