Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re. Weight

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Glenn Mitchell on October 14, 2002 13:49:00 UTC

Careful balancing is the key.

Your 12" will have more wear and tear than a 10" because they both use the same fork, motors, and gears. So there is several pounds less weight all around (and most of the additional at the rear of the OTA on the 12").

The scopes are designed to handle several pounds of attachments.

A guidescope and plates is less problematic, because the weight is distributed along the OTA instead of being cantilevered off the end of the OTA.

A lens shield will help with balance. If adds an extra pound or two to the front of the OTA. If you use a Kendrick Sytstem strap on the OTA and a weight system, you will likely have problems with the metal dew shield. I use a vinyl dew shield insitead for that reason.

Some people like 3D weight systems, such as the Losmandy. With a 10" scope, swing-through is less of a problem than on the 12" scope. I'm very happy with the Meade weights, even though they are 2D. Their plate does not get in the way when I store the scope in its JMI case.

Just remember to keep the scope balanced as you change attachments (i.e., adjust the weights) and you'll keep wear and tear on the gears to a minimum.

Good luck,

Mitch

Glenn E. Mitchell II, Ph.D. (aka Mitch)
10" f/10 Meade LX-200 GPS (Big Blue) s/n 01088
Supercharged at ASO by Dr. Clay Sherrod, # 2314-2010
N 30° 30' 49.2" / W 084° 20' 13.8"

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins