Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Tell Ya,

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on May 30, 2002 19:11:43 UTC

I have mine for 2 years now and the novelty just doesn't ware off. 12 inches of aperture, GOTO slewing, one man set up, what else you need! Did you get that new coating or did you get it before that? I often do my 2 star alignment twice. The second usually is more accurate. I think it's because it's tracking while I'm doing the alignment. It's easier to center the stars. With the old LX200 you pick the alignment stars yourself. The scope doesn't choose them for you. If you choose stars that are too close together, it points great close to them, but it's not as accurate when you look at something far from those stars. If you can get one on each end of the sky, like almost 180 degrees apart, it's accurate all over the sky. But no matter what stars you choose, all the items are always in the field with the 22MM. I like getting them real close to center. I don't use the sync function often. I find if I sync on something, the items in the area all hit dead center. But the further you get from the sync item, the more it's off center. So the only time I sync is when I know I'll be in the area a good long time. Most of the time I don't sync at all. Even if it's hitting a little off center, everthing hits the same spot. So if I'm trying to see a 14th magnitude galaxy or something, I still know right where it should be in the field. That's something some people don't understand. Just because you have a GOTO scope, doesn't mean you can see everything. You still need observing skills and patience before you see these things. Good Luck.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins