Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re;

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on May 28, 2002 13:28:53 UTC

I have the LX200 for 2 years, of course it's not the new GPS. Haven't seen one of those yet. I will soon, I know a guy with the 10", haven't seen it yet. Anyway I've seen the AutoStar controll. I've helped many people at our clubs workshops get them working. Now maybe your doing this correctly already and there is something wrong with the scope but check this. A common error is, people think the scope should center the stars during the 2 star alignment by itself. That's not the case. You point the scope North just so it has some idea where the stars are. When the scope turns to the first alignment star and the controll tells you to center it in the finder, you center it in the cross hairs. Next it should say to center it in the eyepiece, you then need to center the star in the eyepiece. That's 2 seperate steps. Centering it in the crosshairs is way less improtant than centering it in the eyepiece. You didn't mention that in your explanation. I've seen inexperienced people do lots of silly things. They don't center the stars, they don't know what star they're pointing at. I seen one guy loosen the lock nuts and center the star manually without using the hand controll. Make sure your centering the stars in the finder then in eyepiece and hit enter (or next, can't remember the function keys). I'll check in with my friend in the meantime. Get the procedure down.
Good Luck, keep us posted.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins