Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
10" LX200 GPS

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Glenn Mitchell on May 11, 2002 04:48:35 UTC

The scope comes with a 26mm Plossl. That's a good, general-purpose EP.

My recommendation for a beginning set of EPs is 40mm, 26mm, and 9mm.

You'll also need a lighted reticle. I have a 12mm Plossl with fixed cross-hairs.

A good quality 2x Barlow is something you should buy. It gives you more coverage with your EPs. A set of 40mm, 26mm, and 9mm effectively become 20mm, 13mm, and 4.5mm.

If you can still afford it, a focal reducer is a great accessory. It converts the scope from f/10 to f/6.3. It widens the FOV for your EPs.

Filters? A moon filter. Definitely. A basic set of planet filters, too. Yellow, red, blue, and green.

How far do you live from cities? Depending on the size of the city, you might need to live 20 or 30 miles away to get away from light pollution. I live on the outskirts of a small city. Light pollution is still moderate, depending on the direction I point the scope. I'm considering a wideband nebula filter for times when I don't feel like driving to a dark sky site.

I hope I helped.

Mitch

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins