Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re:

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on March 5, 2002 16:42:51 UTC

Well, I'd like to tell you to get the 10", but it does weigh 60 lbs. If you have a back problem you may have a problem with that. I know a guy 71 yrs old can't lift his anymore. He comes to my house all the time now and we observe with my scope together. Not sure the weight of the 8", I've seen it and it's small compaired to the 10" & 12". I don't know anyone with an LX200 that is unhappy with it. They work great. The optics are great and in my experience Meade is helpful if you have a problem. I've only seen one LX90 for a short time. It's the same OTA so optics is not a question here. Of course the LX200 is the new GPS version, I have the old version, haven't seen a new one yet. If you compair the specifications you get more options with the LX200. It's ready for computer ports, CCD camera and other stuff. I've also seen the 7" Mak. It's not just a little longer focal length it's f/15. It has about the same focal length as the 12". Very high magnification. But you know, you have a 5" mak already, it's only 2" bigger. The 8" is only one inch bigger than that. You should really have a specific reason to want a 7" Mak. It's a real nice scope though. You would be happy with any of these. I'd go with the 8" LX200 (unless you can handle the 10"), it's a reliable scope and you can expand with it. It leaves you a little money for extras.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins