Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re:

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on January 18, 2002 14:30:33 UTC

I'm not that famillare with the Autostar, I have the LX200. But, we just did a new Telescope Workshop at my club and there were many ETX60's there with the Autostar. Of the 20 or so there, noone had one working yet. I followed what people were trying to do and then looked in the manual. I did get one working after about 15 minutes. All the GOTO scope are pretty much the same. Here are the mistakes peoples were making, maybe that will be some help. Make sure you enter the date and time each time you turn the scope on. It dosen't stay in there. Make sure you entered the latitude and longitude. I'm not sure if that stays. Actually I didn't see anyone enter it. Before turning the scope on, lock the RA and DEC locks. After you turn it on, don't touch the scope. Don't unlock the lockes and move it manually, do everything on the hand controll. If it's a fork mount, level the scope. I know the manual says you don't have to but do it anyway. I think yours is an EQ mount so don't worry about that. Almost everyone did this next part wrong. When the scope picks the first alignment star, make sure you know which star in the sky it attempted to point to. The scope will not point directly to this star all by itself. It may be pretty far off. You have to center this star in the eyepiece of the telescope before hitting enter and going to the next star. Do the same thing when going to the second star. Make sure you point it to the correct star and center it in the eyepiece. Once that's done you should be ready and it should work. Not one person there knew what star it was pointing at and noone knew to center it. That was the biggest problem. Try it again, make sure you follow the instructions carfully. Get back to me.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins