Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Same Ole' Story

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on October 10, 2001 21:43:39 UTC

I have almost made it a career in retro-fitting Meade reflectors (Dobs & EQ). The first thing that goes is the focuser. 90% of the time I replace them with either all metal low profile or a Crayford. The next thing I do (with the owners permission of course) is I cut a hole just forward of the mirror face and insert a 1.5" fan that blows in. These have foam filters to minimize dust. Then I either drill out a larger hole or a small one depending on what aperture size, in the cell. Note: Some of the older cells did not have a solid back. There, I install a 3" fan that blows out. This draws heat from the mirror and helps draw cooler air down through the tube. Now I'm not saying you should drill holes in a perfectly good scope, but if one knows what to do and wants to optimize performance down the road, then these are some of the things one must do. Usually, people who are involved in ATM or have the inclination of making things different to help enhance "anything", will do what I do. Also it isn't that uncommon for some folks to dicard the original scope (Meade's especially) and save the optics (which are normally good) and build new scopes around them. Anyway, first thing I would do is get rid of that focuser. Replace it with a Crayford. You'll need to at least measure where the focus plane is first...anyway. Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins