Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: I Want To Buy A Nice Meade Telescope, Is It Any Good

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Peter Hermans on February 26, 2001 20:48:12 UTC

Thanks for the fast and plain response. (But I still have a few questions)

I thought the goto function was really nice, because I'm not that good at finding object (tonight I saw Orion Nebula for the first time trough my 60mm Bresser, great!). Can I find objects by reading out the R.A. end Dec. on a star chart, and then set the scope to these settings (eq-mount)? If that is the case, then I don't need a goto function.

I agree that I should spend more on the optics then on the goto function, but are the optics of the Celestron 114GT (for instance) that bad, compared to a non-goto newtonian of larger aperture? Do I really need more aperture?

Should I go for a 6" or 8" Dobsonian then? Or should I spend a little more, and take a 6" Newton on an equatorial mount?

What exactly is the difference between a single- and dual-axis drive system? Do I need a dual-axis drive system for astrophotography, or will a single-axis do?

Thanks, Peter

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins