Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Right

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 3, 2001 17:21:52 UTC

"The universe took at least a million years to settle down into anything resembling a configuration."

Fine, but the information was all there. No new matter has been added to the universe since the Big Bang. So, wouldn't it make sense to say that if you had enough information and a whole lot of time on your hands (or a whole lot of monkeys on a whole lot of typewriters) that you could extrapolate from the data any event at any time and place in the universe? It's cause and effect.

"[God] designed in periodic castrophies like asteriods to keep down the max size. Flipping magnetic fields and periodic ice ages have similar effects on a lessor scale."

You mean like the Permian extinction, where there were no advanced species around yet, and where 90% of Earth's life was annihilated? What is God's beef with us, anyway? :)

Again let me point out that you have a split personality. About half your posts are absolutely brilliant in terms of objectivity and common sense (I especially like your banter with Jisbond), and about half of them back off from that point of view and start applying all sorts of natural phenomena to God.

Asteroids are not part of any God's plan, especially not a plan that evolves and changes throughout time. Those asteroids (or at least the matter that would eventually become asteroids) have been around since the Big Bang. I don't care how powerful you are, you can't just make an asteroid appear. All collisions with Earth have been predestined, so to speak. So, I don't see how any God could make changes in the master plan once things got started.

Also, why would a god fill the universe with such rocks, and why would they be a universal phenomena? Comet Shoemaker/Levy smashed into Jupiter a while back. What was God trying to "fix" there? What was God trying to fix when a small meteor landed in Tunguska? What is God trying to fix when pebble sized meteors land on earth every day? And, more importantly, exactly HOW can he possibly guide these collisions? I say again, past the Big Bang, everything goes by itself. The only possible place for a god is that of a watchmaker.

Forgive me for getting the impression that you're trying to fit an octagonal peg into a round hole.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins