Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: God

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on September 29, 1999 04:15:57 UTC

: Can anyone prove that there is ,no God?I can not prove,in a scientific way,the existance of God,but if I were a gambling man,I would put my money on God.Atheists can argue,but they, also have no proof.The end will come.How Much,would you be willing to bet?

Ah, I never tire of hearing this argument stated over and over. You've basically reiterated Pascal's wager. You're saying that belief in God is justifiable because if there is a God, all the atheists will be sent to hell, so why not "gamble" on God? Well let me ask you this, if God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-loving, do you think that he'd send someone to hell merely on the basis of disbelief in his existence? How low and petty must he be if he must inflate his ego by creating little humans for the sole purpose of worshiping him. Furthermore, would you consider fear of going to hell alone and in itself a good reason to believe in God? Do you think that most theist believe in God for this sole reason? That projects a pretty sad image of theists. As for your statement that no on can prove there is a God, you're right. That can't be proven, but you've completely missed the point. We really can't prove anything; that's all that science is. Science is devising theories by analysing the evidence we have at the MOMENT. Being human we are very limited in our senses. I'm sure you've encountered the question, "how do you know that the blue color I see is the same color you see. You might have grown up all your life conditioned into believing that the color you see is indeed blue." So each of us has a varying view of what reality is. We believe that things are proven fact because a significant number of people agree that something is true. At one point belief that the world is flat was considered proven beyond a doubt. Why? because everyone agreed at the time. Religion is also just a theory, one supported on pretty much no empirical evidence at all. All we can say is that according the evidence right now, this theory is probably true, to the best of our knowledge. Science never believes that any theory is entirely complete. The fact that you would even state that atheism cannot be proven shows you really don't understand the fundamentals of science.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins