Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Averages

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil.o.sofir on September 27, 1999 05:09:29 UTC

: How would an evolutionist explain this? Remine postulates that in 10,000,000 yrs the human species can substitute 25,000 expressed neutral mutations, about .0007% of the genome. If this is true, given the 2% difference between humans and chimps, then our common ancestor lived about 20,000,000,000 yrs ago.

***I think that the calculations are based upon averages of mutation rates, however, I have heard of an offshot theory I guess you call it that hypothosises that there are times in which some of the mutations are gigantic, and that the effect is like bypassing millions of the "everyday" common distance of a mutant change. Also, it may be that environmental changes speed up the mutation rate at times as well as create conditions for the mutation to occur in many individuals along the same lines (if not identical) thereby multiplying the application of the mutation geometrically compaired to the common single mutant/generational adaptation system. And there is always the chance that both that the mutation is both great in itself (amount of change) at the same time that it is widespead in individuals which would increase the effect outragiuosly. Anyway, what exacly is it that you propose, what are we and how did we get here in your opinion?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins