Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Agree That A Potential Spiritual World Would Be Describable

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on August 28, 2001 21:55:45 UTC

By the way, don't think that me calling you confusing was an insult. It's just that I don't always understand you. It's like you have two seperate minds trying to get their ideas across at once. Sometimes you'll post things that make so much logical and scientific sense independent of theism that I get confused when you propose to talk about the nature of the supernatural, or contacting spirits, etc.

One place in particular where I think you're dead-on is that science is fully capable of describing any spiritual world. I find it annoying when people say things like "Physics is the study of the physical, therefore science is an invalid way to study a potential supernatural." That is misleading and semantic language, and I'm glad that we agree on this issue. If a supernatural does exist, the only way we wouldn't be able to scientifically study it is if it is totally independent of us, never interacting with our universe in any way. I think even the most devout anti-scientist can see the logic in that.

And again, I agree that much of the physics is over our heads. Discrepancies between relativity and quantum mechanics, for example, suggest that our current science is only description, not law. Okay. I'm with you all the way to that point, but then you start talking about "It all is Allah" and contacting spirits and the usefulness of the scripture in the pursuit of knowledge. At this point I tend to get a little frustrated (I'm a little embarrased that my posts have been much more caustic than usual lately) because I can't understand how someone who embraces science and reason can abandon it and jump to conclusions about the nature of the universe and its origin, which as you said, is currently over our heads.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins